Anyone in Waves Swimming School processing personal data must comply with the eight enforceable principles of good practice.
Data must be:
- Fairly and lawfully processed.
- Processed for limited purposes.
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive.
- Kept no longer than necessary
- Processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights.
- Not transferred without adequate protection.
- Personal data covers both facts and opinions about the individual. It also includes information regarding the intentions of the data controller towards the individual, although in some limited circumstances exemptions will apply. With processing data it incorporates the concept of ‘obtaining’, ‘holding’ and ‘disclosing’.
- Staff are aware of the dangers of disclosing personal information and are trusted not to do so.
- Once a customer ceases to belong to Helen’s Swimming School their personal data is removed from all computers, however, it is necessary for the company to keep some information for seven years for tax purposes.